Wednesday, 1 March 2017

Review: Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

So for some reason I decided to read Gillian Flynn's novels in reverse order, having disliked Gone Girl, enjoyed Dark Places and then this one, which I picked up because various reviews of both of Flynn's other books liked to mention how all of Flynn's protagonists are messed up and disturbing and disturbed.

I expected something like Warren Ellis, I got something like SVU.

This super disturbing protagonist? She's a cutter (oooh edgy! No pun intended) who cuts words in her body, and those words burn and tingle at opportune and suitable times. Like a sixth sense or something. She thinking about her dead little sister? The word "Bundle" will throb. When she's not lamenting about her word-scars, she goes on and on about how beautiful her face is.

It was ridiculous.

I didn't get the interested until over 50% of the way into the book. Far too late into it for it to grab me.

The actual mystery was obvious, but also confusing at the same time. Then the actual details of how the crimes were committed were explained by the narrator after the fact. Not TO the narrator by the killer. Show. Don't Tell.

Finally, I listened to the audiobook. It was fine, but I found the narrator to be too gentle and soft spoken to carry the text and characters. She has a lovely, calm voice and is very expressive, just too soft for this particular story.

Skip it. There are better mysteries out there.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification